|Upward Bound Math Summer Instructor (Temporary, Part-Time)|
Company: Azusa Pacific University
Location: Azusa, CA
Employment Type: Temporary
Date Posted: 04/09/2021
Expire Date: 05/09/2021
Job Categories: Education
Upward Bound Math Summer Instructor (Temporary, Part-Time)|
TRiO Upward Bound is a federally funded grant that provides support for first-generation to college and low-income students in preparation for success in postsecondary education. The Upward Bound Summer Math Instructor will provide instruction in mathematics in a variety of levels ranging from Integrated Math II to Calculus. The instructor is responsible for preparing a syllabi and curriculum that will introduce students to foundational concepts in the subject of instruction to prepare Upward Bound students for the courses they will take the following year. In addition, UB instructors will develop assessment tools that measure student’s growth over the course of instruction. This is a temporary summer position that pays $25 an hour. Instructors will be required to attend an APU new employee onboarding and complete two hours of esteem training. Instruction will consist of one-hour sessions with a maximum of 3 hours of instruction a day. Instructor will be expected to complete curriculum and syllabi for each course within 15 hours of curriculum development time over a course of two weeks and 20 hours of class preparation. Instructor must commit to six weeks of instruction from June 21, 2021 – July 29, 2021. Hours allocated for this position including training, curriculum development, preparatory time, and staff meetings totals 125 hours.
* APU new employee onboarding: TBD
* Instructor Training Date: May 1, 2021 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
* June: 22, 24, 29
* July: 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 29
* All instruction occurs between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. No instruction occurs on Fridays.
* Bachelor’s Degree or higher in English or related field.
* Preferred: California Teaching Credential, Masters degree in subject of instruction or Education.
* Experience providing instruction in classroom setting.
* Preferred: Working with high school students in an educational capacity.
* Preferred: Working knowledge of California Content Standards in subject of instruction.
* Preferred: Life experience with barriers similar to those from TRIO target populations, including but not limited to being a member of an underrepresented group in higher education, being a first-generation student, being from a low-income family, or having a disability.
* Preferred: Developing and implementing distance learning curriculum and instruction.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
* Preparation of syllabus and teaching of curriculum in subject area of instruction.
* Designs, develops, and deliver distance learning curriculum.
* Develop supplies list within budgetary framework provided by project director.
* Determine student mastery of material and assign final course grade from evaluation of tests, quizzes, homework, and other assignments and activities related to course material.
* Participate in bi-weekly staff meetings.
* Attend end of summer evaluation with Upward Bound staff.
* Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
* Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on program needs.
* Performs other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
* Knowledge of effective instructional methods and practices.
* Ability to develop assessments and monitor student progress.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to manage details and follow through.
* Must be collaborative and an effective team member and team builder.
* The Ability to work with students from diverse backgrounds.
Azusa Pacific University is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.