|Deputy Director of Fiscal Services (Treasury Specialist VII)|
Company: Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Location: Annapolis, MD
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 06/17/2021
Expire Date: 08/17/2021
Job Categories: Accounting/Auditing, Banking, Finance/Economics, Government and Policy
Deputy Director of Fiscal Services (Treasury Specialist VII)|
The MD State Treasurer’s Office is seeking a highly skilled individual with effective management skills to serve as the Deputy Director of Fiscal Services in the Budget & Financial Management Division. In addition to routine fiscal responsibilities, the Budget and Financial Management Division is responsible for processing all State agency requests for check reissues, stop payments and recoveries from the State's Unpresented and Undeliverable funds as approved by the Treasury Management Division, and for processing all disbursements and deposits related to the State Insurance Trust Fund (SITF). This position fully manages the Accounting Department, and is responsible for the supervision of two additional employees and the management of all activities assigned to the Accounting Department. Such activities include maintenance of the financial records, controls and procedures relating to budgetary expenditures, accounts receivables, accounts payables, cash receipts and development and adherence to auditing and internal controls for the Treasury Management, Insurance Management and Bond Sale Expense appropriations. The position also manages full payroll operations and the maintenance of payroll records for the entire agency. We are an interface agency that uses Microsoft Dynamics 365 (D365) Finance & Operations (F&O) module to process daily accounting entries and transfer information to the State’ central accounting system R*STARS.
In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department, this position is responsible for administering the fiscal yearend close-out in accordance with GAAP requirements and in compliance with the Office of the Comptroller’s General Accounting Division. The incumbent is accountable for ensuring monthly reconciliations are completed timely, preparing various schedules and calculations associated with the annual budget submission on behalf of the State Treasurer’s Office, and administering annual SITF premium invoice and collection plan for Statewide agencies. Finally, this position serves as the Statewide Cash Management Improvement Act (CMIA) Coordinator responsible for preparation of the annual CMIA Treasury State Agreement and the CMIA Annual Report filings to the federal government on behalf of state agencies who meet the threshold of reporting their federal grant drawdown activity.
Candidates should possess strong organizational and analytical skills; the ability to work independently, in teams, and under pressure of multiple deadlines; strong written and oral communication skills; and be open to extended work hours as necessary to meet budget and financial deadlines. This is a Management Service position which serves at the pleasure of the Maryland State Treasurer and her designated appointing authority.
This is a full-time position with State employment benefits including paid holidays, vacation/sick/personal days, subsidized medical and dental plans, pension plan, 401(k)/457 plans, employee credit union, direct deposit, and free parking.
The ideal Candidate will have:
• Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Business, Finance or Accounting from an accredited college or university
• Five (5) years of general accounting experience with three (3) years of experience performing advanced level full scale accounting functions that encompass all areas of accounting including accounts payable and accounts receivable processing, account reconciliations, payroll processing, financial statement preparation, forecasting and budget analysis.
• Two (2) years of experience supervising subordinate staff including assignment and review of work, performance evaluation, time and leave approval, training, and experience working with Human Resources
Candidates with the following will be given additional consideration:
• State of Maryland accounting, fiscal and management experience
• Possession of a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or a Master's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university
• Strong oral and written communication skills, with ability to clearly and concisely present financial data and use technical or professional language to communicate complex ideas.
• Intermediate to advanced level proficiency in MS Excel
• Experience working with Dynamics 365 F&O module (specifically the finance applications)
• Experience with governmental fund accounting and accrual basis accounting
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION: Applicants must be willing to work in the Annapolis area.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Candidates will be subject to a background investigation to include credit and criminal history.
Job opportunities within the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office are accessible through JobAps, the Statewide Recruitment, Examination and Applicant tracking system. Go to www.JobAps.com/MD to apply. Please upload a current copy of your resume with your application.
Electronic application is strongly preferred; however, if you do not have access to a computer, you may send a copy of your resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 410-260-4090.
Any questions regarding this recruitment or the recruitment process may be directed to the STO Personnel Office at 410-260-7078.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay
Contact Name: Michele Reid
Company Name: Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Phone Number: 410-260-7078
Fax Number: 410-260-4090
Contact Email: email@example.com
Constitutional and statutory provisions relating to the Office of the State Treasurer may be found in Articles I, III, V, VI, and XII of the Maryland Constitution, Title 5 of the State Government Article, and Titles 2 and 6 through 9 of the State Finance and Procurement Article. The Treasurer, in general, is responsible for receiving, depositing, investing, and distributing State money.