|Director of Communications and Outreach|
Company: Pacific Institute
Location: Oakland, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 03/01/2021
Expire Date: 05/01/2021
Job Categories: Advertising/Marketing/Public Relations
Director of Communications and Outreach|
Director of Communications and Outreach
Position Title: Director of Communications and Outreach
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Hours: Full Time (35 hours per week)
Location: Flexible (based in the United States)
Compensation: Salary of $100,000 – $120,000 per year commensurate with qualifications; Benefits include fully paid health insurance for employee and dependents (medical and dental), employer-matched retirement savings contribution, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, personal days, and holiday)
Start Date: Available immediately
About the Pacific Institute
The Pacific Institute is a global water research organization that combines science-based thought leadership with active outreach to influence sustainable water policies and practices at the local, national, and international levels. Since 1987, we have worked with a range of stakeholders from Fortune 500 companies to disenfranchised communities to create and advance solutions to the world’s most pressing water challenges. Among other activities, the Pacific Institute:
• Analyzes the risks of climate change for fresh water supplies and develops and disseminates strategies to address those risks.
• Pioneers and promotes the “soft path” to water concept, which calls for a new and comprehensive approach for managing water infrastructure, demands, and institutions.
• Serves as the organizing force behind the CEO Water Mandate, a United Nations Global Compact initiative that brings global corporations and international organizations together to adopt water sustainability best practices.
The Pacific Institute seeks a senior communications professional to develop and implement communications strategies to expand the Institute’s reach and impact. The successful candidate will broaden the Institute’s outreach capabilities, inclusive of public relations and marketing, and enhance the organization’s effectiveness in reaching and influencing a diverse array of audiences. The Director of Communications and Outreach will be part of the senior management team and will work to create and execute against a strategic vision for the Institute’s external communications and promote our work to relevant stakeholders, including donors, the media, policymakers, the private sector, and vulnerable communities, as well as academic and scientific communities. In addition, the position will oversee communications and messaging relating to all the Institute’s major events. The position requires a clear vision for effective 21st-century communications strategies, experience messaging to a broad range of stakeholders from corporate sustainability teams to members of vulnerable and underserved communities, and a working knowledge of the Institute’s programmatic areas of focus. This position will oversee and manage the work of a communications team and coordinate with research and fundraising staff.
The Director of Communications and Outreach will be a key member of Pacific Institute’s senior management team and will play a key role in achieving the organization’s mission to raise the profile of water. They will oversee a team working on all aspects of the Institute’s communications and outreach. Some of the tasks below will be done by the Director, and some will be carried out by direct reports.
Strategic Planning and Leadership
• In coordination with the Communications team, develop comprehensive short- and long-term communications plans with clearly defined target audiences, outreach strategies, tactics, evaluation metrics, and measurable goals to support and advance the mission of the organization.
• Develop and implement consistent organizational branding and messaging.
• Collaborate with senior management to develop a system to measure and communicate the organization’s successes and impacts.
• Continually evaluate the effectiveness of marketing and communications efforts and report on these to senior management, staff, and the board.
Writing, Editing, and Production
• Oversee the writing and editing of a variety of formats and for diverse audiences, including annual report, press releases, op-eds, short form articles, advocacy newsletters, web copy, digital media, collateral materials.
• Edit and oversee production of Pacific Institute materials including research papers, presentations, fact sheets, videos, press materials, and organizational marketing materials.
Website and Digital Communications
• Oversee the management of the organization’s website to ensure it is effectively communicating the Pacific Institute’s vision, mission, and values.
• Oversee the production of e-mail newsletters, blog posts, and annual report.
• Oversee the management of the Institute’s social media accounts.
• In cooperation with the Associate Director of Development, create and maintain a lifecycle marketing plan and schedule for e-appeals, e-newsletters, and other marketing and fundraising external communications.
Media and Partnerships
• Oversee media strategy and work with communications team to maintain relationships with key members of the media.
• Build relationships with networks of key stakeholders, including government agencies, corporations, other NGOs, utilities, and individuals.
• Manage print collateral and social media communications for events and programs.
• Facilitate interdepartmental communications.
• Raise the profile of individual staff via social media, blog posts, interviews, and op-eds.
• Manage an effective communications team.
• At least five years of experience in a leadership capacity overseeing communications and media relations and/or marketing.
• Outstanding writing and editing skills with the ability to synthesize complex information for a variety of audiences.
• Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills.
• Experience with strategic communication planning.
• Detailed understanding of social media platforms, digital marketing, website management, and print design.
• Competency working with diverse audiences, including vulnerable communities, elected officials, corporations, community leaders, and the public.
• Experience managing staff in a positive, collaborative manner and establishing departmental priorities.
• A demonstrated commitment to advancing the improvement of climate and/or sustainable water policies and social justice.
• Experience with corporate marketing and/or communicating with policymakers is desired but not required.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
The Pacific Institute is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Recognizing the inherent inequities that exist in our society, our sector, and our work, the Pacific Institute is dedicated to improving our internal policies, procedures, and programmatic priorities to ensure a diverse workforce and culture of inclusion. We have accelerated our efforts and refreshed our approach to anti-racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to building a culture where diverse life experiences, values, and viewpoints are valued at all levels of the organization. We believe this approach improves our organizational culture and the quality of our work. As part of this commitment, we request that all candidates include a short statement in their cover letters to address how your addition to our staff would contribute towards our becoming a diverse, culturally aware, and more well-rounded organization.
Please send a cover letter (including the DEI statement described above), resume, and writing sample of relevant work. Email these items to email@example.com. Please include Director of Communications and Outreach in the subject line of your email, and let us know where you found this job posting. No phone calls please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Company Name: Pacific Institute
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Pacific Institute for Studies in Development, Environment, and Security is an American non-profit research institute created in 1987 to provide independent research and policy analysis on issues of development, environment, and security, with a particular focus on global and regional freshwater issues. It is located in Oakland, California. The Institute's primary focus is on water conservation and demand management. The mission of the Institute is to "[create] and [advance] solutions to the world’s most pressing water challenges".