|Associate Director of College Counseling|
Company: The Harpeth Hall School
Location: Nashville, TN
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 03/05/2021
Expire Date: 05/05/2021
Job Categories: Education
Associate Director of College Counseling|
The mission of Harpeth Hall is to educate young women to think critically, to lead confidently, and to live honorably. To fully realize that mission, Harpeth Hall is committed to creating an environment in which every member of its community is seen, heard, and valued. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to that endeavor and successful candidates must bring an authentic commitment to cultural competence.
Harpeth Hall seeks a student-centered, experienced educator to serve in a full-time, twelve-month position as Associate Director of College Counseling, joining a team of three full-time College Counselors. The assigned caseload is approximately forty students in each class.
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor's degree (master's preferred), experience in either selective college admission or college counseling, a desire to work with students, excellent writing and communication skills, the ability to coordinate and accomplish tasks in a deadline-driven environment, a strong sense of ethics, a desire to continue to grow as a culturally competent educator, sensitivity to the needs of students from diverse backgrounds, proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace, experience with SCOIR and Veracross preferred, a willingness to spend some evening and weekend hours in job-related duties as well as participating in or supporting school events and activities. The position includes some travel to colleges for counselor fly-in programs as well as professional conferences, such as SACAC, NACAC, and ACCIS.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Academic advising for students including counsel about the studentís four-year course plan and discussing course requests for the following year
● Working closely with the individual students in their assigned caseload, recommending colleges for each student to consider based on the studentís interests, and helping each student with the college application process, including reviewing all essays
● Counseling the student and parent(s)/guardian(s) through every stage of the college admission process, including applications for merit scholarships, honors programs, and applying for financial aid
● Writing a counselor recommendation for each student in their caseload
● Reading teacher recommendations for each student in their caseload
● Preparing school documents for each studentís applications and submitting via SCOIR
● Serving as the studentís advocate throughout the college search and application process
● Communicating effectively with parents, via individual student/parent meetings and written correspondence
● Building relationships with college Admission Officers on behalf of the school and the students
● Proctoring and administering standardized testing on campus (PSAT, ACT District Testing, SAT School Day, and AP exams)
● Execution of administrative duties as part of the College Counseling team
● Continually learning about a wide variety of college options through meeting with college Admission Officers who visit Harpeth Hall, attending counselor fly-in programs, participating in counselor webinars, and researching colleges
● Participating in the life of the school through additional activities such as serving as an Advisor to a group of students
In addition, there may be duties as assigned by the Director of College Counseling or Head of School. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Harpeth Hall is an independent, college preparatory day school for girls in grades 5-12 with over 150 years of experience in education for young women and a commitment to academic excellence. For the 2020-21 school year, the total school enrollment is 718, with 415 girls in the Upper School and a graduating senior class of 98. Seventeen percent of students are students of color. Seventeen percent of the student body receives over $2.3 million in financial aid from Harpeth Hall with an average of 94% of demonstrated need met.
Harpeth Hall offers excellent salary and benefits based on qualifications and experience. To learn more about The Harpeth Hall School, please visit the website.
Interested candidates are asked to complete an online application and attach a letter of interest, resume, and list of references.
Questions about the position should be directed to Jenny Byers, Director of College Counseling (firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-346-0080).
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor's degree (master's preferred)
Company Name: The Harpeth Hall School
Harpeth Hall is an independent college preparatory school for young women where each student realizes her highest intellectual ability in the sciences, the humanities, and the arts, and discovers her creative and athletic talents. Harpeth Hall develops responsible citizens who have global perspectives and make meaningful contributions to their communities and the world. With a tradition of excellence and a commitment to life-long learning, Harpeth Hall educates young women to think critically, to lead confidently, and to live honorably.