|Assistant Professor of Music|
Company: California State University San Marcos
Location: San Marcos, CA
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 11/30/2021
Expire Date: 01/30/2022
Job Categories: Education
Assistant Professor of Music |
The Music Department of California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) invites applicants for a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor rank in Voice. We are seeking a dynamic educator and contemporary vocal performer who will bring visibility to the Music Department as well as represent CSUSM to the local, national and international community.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching applied voice lessons, choir and choral directing at the undergraduate level. The ideal candidate will be teaching diverse singing styles of gospel, musical theater, jazz, opera, and other contemporary vocal genres. Piano proficiency to accompany vocal students is highly preferred. The ideal candidate will commit to growing and expanding the vocal area by developing new courses and generating excitement and attract students to the Music department. Active performing, creative activity, and scholarly contributions to the field are expected to help recruit and grow the Music Department. Based on curricular needs, other classroom responsibilities may include teaching courses in music history, ethnomusicology, and arts integration in K-12 education. Candidates with experience in developing and teaching courses related to diversity and equity (e.g. MUSC 320 Songs of Protest) are strongly encouraged to apply. Other duties include organizing and promoting departmental events, participating in student activities and performances, and recruiting and fundraising for the department.
The Music Department seeks a future colleague that can work collegially and effectively with the music faculty and has strong communication and organizational skills to collaborate with faculty and staff in the Music Department.
The Music Department is housed in the School of Arts, whose mission is to provide an inclusive, collaborative community where artists, scholars, and students actively engage in developing artistic practices, critical thinking, cultural intelligence, and creativity. The successful candidate will be expected to demonstrate excellence in research and/or creative activities, teaching and service to the department and university.
• DMA., Ph.D., or MA with commensurate professional experience in Vocal performance or Vocal
• Active performance background
• Piano proficiency
• Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate courses
• Ability to teach and develop music courses based on the curricular needs
• Ability to teach diverse student populations
• Doctoral degree in Music is preferred
• Extensive creative activities record at the regional, national and international levels
• Classroom, studio and choir teaching experience at the university level
• Ability to generate excitement and attract students to the program
• Experience in developing the voice area in a music program
• Ability to communicate and collaborate collegially with the Music department faculty
Company Name: California State University San Marcos