|Investments Specialist (Treasury Professional II)|
Company: Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Location: Annapolis, MD
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 02/02/2023
Expire Date: 04/02/2023
Job Categories: Finance/Economics
Investments Specialist (Treasury Professional II)|
Do these words make you nod your head and smile? If they do, come work for us!
CASH MANAGEMENT CASH POSITION REPO LIQUIDITY
COLLATERAL TRADES BLOOMBERG SINKING FUND
Working for the State of Maryland, Office of the State Treasurer, can provide a professional environment and stable career with unique insight into the State’s investment policies and practices – not to mention a wealth of benefits exclusive to State employees!
The State Treasurer is a Constitutional Officer in the Executive Branch of Maryland state government who is elected by the General Assembly of Maryland. The constitutional and statutory provisions relating to the duties of the Office of the State Treasurer can be found in Articles I, III, V, VI, and XII of the Maryland Constitution; Title 5 of the State Government Article; and Titles 2 and 6-9 of the State Finance and Procurement Article. The Treasurer’s responsibilities are core to the financial operations of the State – we are the State’s money-keepers, money-makers, and money-movers.
This position assists the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) by carrying out daily operations in order to derive the State’s daily cash position and execute short-term and long-term investment strategies. Tasks include:
• verifying, in conjunction with the State’s Contracted disbursement bank, the State’s daily cash balance
• investing non-committed cash, under the direction of the CIO
• soliciting rate quotes from authorized brokers for daily trades
• ensuring documentation of all investment transaction activity is complete and accurate
• posting portfolio transactions to the investment software daily
• monitoring daily cash flows through wires, reconciliations, etc. in order to support the CIO with cash projections
• confirming trades are collateralized by the Safekeeping Agent at 102% of invested dollars
• calculating monthly interest allocation for authorized State agencies
• monitoring collateral securities held by the Treasurer’s Office for over 100 insurance, fidelity, bonding and guaranty companies
• reconciling and reporting
• verifying/auditing confirmation tickets sent by brokers
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (required):
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Five years of experience in business administration, office management, finance, accounting, economics, or related field.
Notes: 1. Candidates may substitute education from an accredited college or university or nationally recognized industry certification program, at a rate of thirty credit hours for each year of experience, for up to two years of the required experience. 2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in financial administration and program classification or financial administration specialty codes in the accounting and budget group field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
SELECTIVE QUALIFICATION (required):
Two of the required years of experience must be hands-on responsibility for cash management.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: (additional consideration will be given to candidates possessing the following:
• Knowledge of government securities investing
• Experience analyzing basic economic and financial market trends and making rudimentary investment recommendations in relation to financial goals
• Experience using Bloomberg or other relatable investment software
• Experience working with collateral
• Advanced skills in Excel, including formulas, reconciling tools, tables & graphs, etc.
• Demonstrated skill in attention to detail
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Contact Name: Michele Reid
Company Name: Maryland State Treasurer's Office
Phone Number: 410-260-7078
Fax Number: 410-260-4090
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Constitutional and statutory provisions relating to the Office of the State Treasurer may be found in Articles I, III, V, VI, and XII of the Maryland Constitution, Title 5 of the State Government Article, and Titles 2 and 6 through 9 of the State Finance and Procurement Article. The Treasurer, in general, is responsible for receiving, depositing, investing, and distributing State money.